Friday, July 3, 2009

PESKY BIRDS!!!

I think it's because of all the rain we've been having, but a few weeks ago, I noticed a lot of commotion around my pink hanging basket in the front yard. I went out to check to see if the little tweetie birds had made a nest. I started to take the basket down and the birds flew out!! I screamed really loud and then started laughing at myself!! So, I decided to wait for Mike. He took down the basket. We couldn't find anything around the edges of the plant. Finally, Mike pulled the plant apart. Those birds had burrowed this nest and these eggs in the middle of the hanging basket. I could not believe it. What's worse, is the next day, after we'd destroyed the nest, more commotion. We took the hanging basket down again, the birds didn't even bother to build a nest this time. The momma just laid her eggs in the hole where the other nest had been built!!


A few days later, I opened up my french doors to go outside and this is what I see! Right by my door!!

So I called Mike at work and told him. This time, I had to face the bird myself. So I pulled a chair over and surveyed the situation. No eggs, but a very protective momma robin purched on our phone wire about ten feet away. "Here goes nothing, I thought." Knocked down the eggless nest without being attacked. Feeling pretty good, right? The very next morning, I opened the door to turn on the water, and those dang birds had rebuilt that nest overnight. I was sure that the mom had laid her eggs because she kept sitting in the nest and wouldn't move if I opened the door. So I waited for the right moment and gathered my courage for a second go around.
Can you believe it!! The momma bird sat purched on my patio chair the whole rest of that day. If we opened the door, she'd fly to the light, where the nest was. Mike ended up having to shoot her. (Please, don't think less of us!!)

SPEAKING OF BIRDS....
Abbey's final ballet performance of the year was "Hansel and Gretel." And Abbey's little class were the canaries!! (A little sick of birds at this point!!) Abbey did so good! She was so graceful and right on! It's been fun to watch her this year. She sure loves ballet. She walks around the house with her long neck, pretty ballet fingers on her tip toes. She's hilarious!! She'll yell at me "mom, say presenting the beautiful princess abbey." Then, she'll walk down the hall all balarinaeee. It's a pretty good laugh!!

Her cute little friend Bayli.

The cutest canary ever!!!


TWIN FALLS TEMPLE
Mike and I decided to take the kids down to Twin Falls to see Shoshone Falls and the temple. We thought "oh this is a perfect day trip" OK!! Here are some of the most frequently used phrases:
"Are we there yet"
"I'm hungry"
"I've got to go the bathroom!! Serious!!"
"Is that it?"
"Can we go now?"
"I'm really hungry AND thirsty"
Mike and I looked at each other several times during the day laughing our butts off!! What a trip! The falls were a little bit disappointing. They weren't running as hard as people said they were. My little camera doesn't do them justice, nor does it capture the beauty of the Twin Falls Temple. It was beautiful. I learn to appreciate my parents each time I take a trip with my children. Don't know how they ever survived taking 5 of us!!!

Hannah took this picture!! Not too shabby!!

Dad, feeling extremely happy that we are a "forever family!!"


This picture is from the back of the temple.


Very beautiful!! Like I said, my little camera doesn't capture it, but it was a very pretty temple.


Now at Shoshone Falls


Enter one of the many phrases from the above list!

These are the falls.


Smile everyone!! This is a fantastic family outing!

The falls were still very pretty. Just wished they would have been running a littel higher.

3 comments:

Grandma T said...

Those are the funnest times, and will be a part of your memory bank for a long time. Always worth the effort.

Grandma T said...

Love your blog Maris, it makes me want to try again.

Jen Simmons said...

hahhahh,, are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet? man, being a kid was so fun! Beeeeaaautiful picture of the temple, don't dis your camera, it is an absolutely gorgeous picture and the colors are very bright I love it! Great job sis!